Sunday, October 30, 2011

Is the God of the Old Testament an Evil or Loving God?

God as portrayed in the Old Testament has often been maligned as a villainous, genocidal character, a divine Hitler of sorts who orders cold mass executions and sanctions the mistreatment of women. And the Old Testament has often been seen as mostly unhistorical (people often say that the Exodus never happened historically).


If you've ever struggled with this issue (is the God of the OT a good God?), I suggest listening to an excellent OT scholar's views on this topic here. I happen to think that Iain Provan, the OT scholar interviewed here, does an outstanding job asnwering difficult questions about the Old Testament.


I think sometimes this question has been dealt with too hastily (or superficially) by Christian apologists, and I think that Dr. Provan treats the questions with the appropriate care that they require.


But what do you think? Let me know in the comments.

No comments: